In 1908, E. C. Shaw Company was established
in Cincinnati, Ohio. We originally produced rubber, brass, and steel
stamps for marking paper, leather, wood, soap, and metal.
Between 1910 and 1913, E. C. Shaw Company began manufacturing curved
brass plates to "crash print" wood crates, whiskey cases,
and fruit boxes. Our expertise in high speed brass machining and brass
fabrication was also used to create architectural signage for prestigious
A few years later, E. C. Shaw Company began manufacturing Aniline
printing plates; Aniline printing was the predecessor to Flexography.
These printing plates were made of 1/8" thick natural rubber
and were used to print paper bags, and wrapping paper. Patterns were
very often hand engraved.
During WWII, E. C. Shaw Company addressed the natural rubber shortage by assisting in the formulation and testing of synthetic rubber plates.
From a rough beginning, synthetic rubber printing plates were finally
perfected and are still used today by some printers.